Speaker Submission Items
What items must a speaker submit prior to the Conference, and what are the due dates?
• Aug. 28, 2015: Contract; titles and session descriptions; speaker introduction and photograph; compensation form; industry affiliation disclosure; permission to be audio recorded and photographed; copyright assertion; A/V equipment request; hotel reservation request; and hands-on lab specifications.
• Nov. 20, 2015: Scientific notes and/or PowerPoint presentations; hands-on lab scientific notes and/or PowerPoint presentations; and travel arrangements.
• Feb. 5, 2016: Speaker registration (see "Speaker Registration" tab below for more info)
View the Speaker Kit for details.
How should I submit these materials?
Please complete the contract and all required forms online in the Speaker Service Center. When registering for the Conference, you may either complete a paper registration form and mail or fax it to the OVMA, or register online. More information about how to register will be posted in December.
How should I format my scientific notes and presentations?
Please follow these guidelines when formatting your notes and PowerPoint presentations.
How do I register?
Speakers may register themselves and their guests online in the Speaker Service Center during the contract submission process. Before beginning your contract submission and MVC registration, please review the Speaker Submission & Online Registration instructions; if you still have questions after reading these, please contact the OVMA.
How do I make changes to my registration after submitting it?
After initially submitting your contract and registration, you will receive an email containing details of your submission and a confirmation number. Click the link in the orange box and enter your email address and confirmation number on the login page. The system will take you through each step of the registration process, during which you can make changes to any of your original submissions, including:
• modifying your speaker contract
• submitting required items (listed above under "Speaker Submission Items")
• registering for sessions (available in fall 2015)
• adding a guest
Do speakers recieve complimentary registration to the MVC?
Speakers are eligible for complimentary Conference registration, depending on how many hours of programming they provide. Those who deliver two or more hours of Conference programming will receive a complimentary full registration to the MVC. (This does not include programming for which an additional charge to participate is required, such as wet labs.) Speakers who provide less than two hours of programming will receive a complimentary one-day registration for the day on which they are presenting.
Compensation & Amenities
What is the speaking fee for MVC speakers?
Provided all information required and notes and/or PowerPoint presentations are submitted by the established deadlines (see "Speaker Submission Items" above), speakers receive $300 per hour. If all the requested materials are not provided prior to the deadlines, the speaking fee drops to $250. If you are speaking as part of a panel or sharing a session with another speaker, the $300 fee per hour will be prorated based upon the number of speakers participating, with each speaker receiving no less than $50. For example, for a one-hour session of three speakers, each would receive $100. View the full Compensation & Expenses Policy for details.
What if I am unable to accept an honorarium?
If the nature of your position precludes accepting an honorarium, you may receive a complimentary full or one-day registration.
When will I receive payment?
Checks for Speaker honorarium and any additional eligible expenses will be postmarked within 10 business days of the end of the Conference.
Will meals be provided for speakers?
There will be a private dining room for speaker use in Room B200 of the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The OVMA will provide complimentary lunch (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) on the days you are speaking. Speakers will also be provided complimentary afternoon (1:30 to 5 p.m.) beverages on the days you are speaking.
What equipment will I be able to use for my presentation(s)?
The MVC will provide audio/visual equipment if requested. This does include a PC laptop. You may also bring your own laptop if you wish; please provide this information in the Speaker Contract.
Are there any other amenities provided?
All speakers will receive the MVC Conference Proceedings (including Scientific Notes and PowerPoint presentations) on CD-ROM/flash drive.
Travel & Hotel Arrangements
Will the OVMA cover my travel expenses?
For those Speakers who live outside Central Ohio (defined as Franklin and its contiguous counties) and wish to drive to the Conference, the MVC will pay the mileage from your home city to Columbus and back at the IRS reimbursable rate. You will also receive complimentary parking on the days you are speaking.
How should I make my travel arrangements?
The OVMA partners with Premier Travel to make speaker travel arrangements. Airline reservations made through this travel agent are billed directly to the OVMA. If special travel arrangements are desired, please view the MVC Travel and Hotel Accommodations Policies before proceeding. Please note that each individual MUST approve/confirm the itinerary quote that Premier Travel provides via e-mail before the flight will be booked.
Phone: 614.885.0200, Ext. 3
What if I need to change my travel arrangements?
If you should need to make any changes to air travel or hotel reservations, please direct these requests to the OVMA staff contact, Aimee Ruble, by e-mail or phone at 800.662.6862.
How do I get to the Greater Columbus Convention Center?
• From Port Columbus International Airport: I-670 West, Exit 4-B to the Convention Center
• From the North: I-71 South to I-670 West (exit 109-A), Exit I-670 at exit 4-B to the Convention Center
• From the South: I-71 North to I-70 East to Fourth Street Exit; North on Fourth to Nationwide Boulevard
• From the West: I-70 East to Fourth Street Exit; North on Fourth to Nationwide Boulevard.
• From the East: Follow I-70 West, Take Downtown exit 101B from I-70 W, Continue straight to stay on E Mound St, Turn right onto S 4th St, Turn left onto E Nationwide Blvd.
What transportation is available from the airport?
• Taxis: You'll find taxis available in the ground transportation area of the terminal on a 24-hour basis. The approximate fare into downtown Columbus is $25. For more information, contact the Taxi General Manager at 614-239-TAXI or by e-mail.
• COTA: Port Columbus is served by Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) public bus service, available to take you almost anywhere in the city. For routes, fares, and schedules, please visit the COTA Web site.
• Rental Car Companies: Alamo 800-GO-ALAMO, Avis 800-331-1212, Budget 800-527-0700, Dollar 800-800-4000, Enterprise 800-325-8007, Hertz 800-654-3131, National 800-CAR-RENT, Thrifty 800-367-2277
Is parking available at or near the Convention Center?
Yes, there are multiple parking lots adjacent to or near the Convention Center that offer daily and hourly rates. Rates and availability for each lot differ. For information on each lot and a printable map, please visit the Convention Center Web site.
What hotel does the MVC use?
The headquarters hotel is the Hyatt Regency, located at 350 N. High St. in Columbus.
Will the OVMA cover my hotel expenses?
For speakers who live outside Central Ohio (defined as Franklin and its contiguous counties), the OVMA will cover the hotel room and tax only for those nights specified in the contract of speakers and provide three or more hours of programming. Any incidental charges (room service, valet service, phone, laundry, etc.) and additional nights shall be the speaker’s responsibility. Out-of-state speakers will also be given an additional travel stipend for out-of-pocket expenses. Please view the MVC Travel and Hotel Accommodations Policies for more information.
How do I make my hotel reservations?
Complete the hotel request form, which can be completed and submitted via the Speaker Service Center. The OVMA will make reservations upon receipt of this document. Please do not make reservations directly through a hotel, as these will not be included in the OVMA’s master bill. If it is necessary to make other arrangements, first contact the OVMA for approval. If granted, you will be responsible for all up-front charges but will be reimbursed for comparable accommodations. Please view the MVC Travel and Hotel Accommodations Policies for more information.
When will I receive confirmation of my reservation?
The OVMA will confirm reservations via e-mail after they have been made. We ask that you verify the information therein for accuracy, and either confirm the details or let us know of any changes or corrections.